Some days, satisfying my sweet tooth reminds me of a game of laser tag. I strategize to avoid opponents lasers, my migraine triggers, (dairy, refined sugars, gluten, MSG and peanuts) but am still inevitably shot by some sneaky little trigger hidden in restaurant or store bought desserts. Ultimately, this results in making a lot of my own healthy desserts to avoid getting “shot”. I usually love everything I whip up, but my true test of greatness are my guy friend’s palates. Most of my treats have been good, bet when I asked for an honest review, they were usually a little bit too this or too that, too banana-y or not sweet enough, too sweet or too “healthy”. They hadn’t quite hit the spot! But after some trial and error I have found the perfectly decadent, healthy dessert that has even been quoted as “One of the most amazing things I have EVER EATEN!” It’s so easy to whip up, the ingredients are easy to find, and it’s delicious and man approved!!
Without any butter, flour, refined sugar, grains or dairy, these brownies make a perfect dessert for anyone with a chocolate craving, even if you are living a vegan, dairy free, paleo, gluten free or refined sugar free lifestyle! You can find all the following ingredients at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods or Central Market.
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4-2/3 cup 100% cocoa powder (the more cocoa, the richer the brownie)
1/2 cup drippy cashew butter (Trader Joe’s works great, can sub for peanut or almond)
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 fully ripe banana (can sub 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup with 2 tsp vanilla extract)
*optional nuts (pecan, walnut, almond or macadamia but pieces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat an 8×8 or 9×9 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your applesauce, nut butter, and cocoa powder and mix until fully incorporated into a thick silky batter.
- In a blender or food processor, combine almond milk and 1/2 banana (or maple syrup+vanilla) until the banana is completely liquefied. Stir the liquid into your batter until combined. *stir in optional nuts*
- Pour batter into oiled pan and bake for 35-45 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Top with SO Delicious dairy-free coconut whipped cream, nuts, berries, pomegranate seeds, maple syrup, melted coconut butter or any other dairy and gluten free toppings.
- BONUS CHOCOLATE SAUCE!!! Take this dish to the next level with a healthy chocolate glaze. All you need is coconut butter or oil, cocoa powder and a sticky sweetener. (100% maple syrup or agave) Melt your 1/2 coconut oil or butter, add enough cocoa powder and sweetener to reach your desired taste and richness and thin with up to 1/4 cup of warm water if needed.
This is an awesome dessert for a party or group of friends! Some like it warm from the oven or cold in the fridge! Change it up, make it your own, enjoy and tag me, @thelyndenlifestyle, in your post so I can shout out your creations!!